Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Daddy's Cake







My dad is the baby of 5 children and was the spoiled one at that. My grandmother lived a full life and passed away when I was pregnant with Will(2003)at the age of 93. She made my dad a special cake every Christmas although I did not find out about it until I was out of the house. I am guessing that my dad hid it from my brother and I because I don't ever remember it in the kitchen. One year when Kara was just a baby Grandma had me come to her house to instruct me in the proper way to bake this monstrous and expensive cake. I think she knew that she would get some great quality time with Kara and I as it takes 2 hours to bake. I followed her instructions well and learned there is a process of baking a cake that is not normally in the instructions of the box cake mixes I buy. When she passed away she left me her large mixing bowl, measuring bowl, and heavy bunt cake pan. This was to ensure that her baby would continue to have his special cake at Christmas time.

Well, I just didn't get around to the cake at Christmas so this year it's the new years cake! By waiting until the last minute the ingredients have cost me a ton of extra money. Usually, if I can bake it for $20 I feel like I have really done well. I could only find a few ingredients that I needed at Schnuck's so the cost doubled. Yep, $40 for a stinking cake. Note to self, next year start buying ingredients earlier. Now, my dad would be completely fine if I skipped this year and he is always happy and grateful when I deliver his cake. I love making it for him and feel like I am keeping a piece of my grandmother's personality alive. It's just as much for me as it is for Daddy.

Here's the recipe:

Lemon Extract Fruit Cake

The night before combine 1/2 lb candied cherries, 3/4 C golden raisins, 4 C chopped pecans with a 1/2 C of flour and set aside. My grandmother used 1 Lb. cherries, 1 qt. pecans, and omitted the raisins. (Makes it extra healthy, LOL!)

Cream the following:
1 lb. butter
2 1/2 C sugar
6 eggs - one at a time
3 oz. pure lemon extract (no less)

In separate bowl sift 3 1/2 C of all purpose flour, 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt (add to the creamed mixture a spoonful at a time).

Fold in the nut/cherry/pecan mixture that had set overnight.

Bake in a greased, floured pan at 300 degrees for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. (You will need a large bunt pan)

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. yummmmmmmmm! will print off this recipe and give it a go.
    So glad to see you back blogging!
    Gemx

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds delicious! What a cool family tradition.

    ReplyDelete